Upcoming Events

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Indoctrinating a 9 year old


Tucking my 9 year old in the night is the time when she and I have the deepest heart to hearts. Today she came up to me saying that she is feeling really sad, and does not know the reason why. 

That sinking feeling in the heart. We have all been there. For no reason. But how do you address that with a 9 year old? She then confided in me that she had a fall out with her best friend. And hence the sadness. I decided to take this as an opportunity to indoctrinate her to the concept of mind and heart sync, and to follow her heart. 

"The brain tells us to do a lot of things, so does the heart. If we just listen to the brain coz that is where logic checks in, and ignore the heart, we may end up doing what is right, and walk away with a feeling of accomplishment. 

But happiness is always in what the heart feels. So always follow your heart. But in doing that don't ignore the long term repercussions that may eventually cause us getting hurt. 

It is therefore important for the heart and brain to have a sensible conversation with each other, and come to a consensus. However if that is not possible, then just listen to the heart. You will never regret that. You may be hurt, your brain may laugh all the way saying "I told you so." But trust me you will never regret. If you are hurt in the process it is akin to the scars a soldier gets during war and sports with pride."

Tonite's bed time conversation with my 9 year old, gave me a feeling of accomplishment. That life gives me enough opportunity to hand over my legacy to her. My philosophy of life. Right or wrong I don't know. But, I have lived it with a vigor and while I have fallen down many a time. But I have never regretted any of that. 

You, my daughter...I hope you too fall in life. Get your heart broken...But I also hope that you are strong enough to pick up those pieces and walk ahead with your head held high. 

4 comments:

  1. Great post! So true...your to follow your heart. I've had these conversations with my sons and I still have them today even though they are grown! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kid-free, but it's a conversation I've had often with clients who can't get unstuck from what they think they ought to be doing. It's a tricky line, sometimes--because the heart operates on joy, we sometimes get short term wants mixed up in there--but when we practice listening, it gets easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one. Its always like this. you want to be happy then listen to your heart. you want to make the world happy then listen to your brain.
    And the mother and the daughter bonding part is so beautiful. God bless you both.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not every person comes to earth to get their hearts broken. Some are here to break hearts too... (personal perspective)

    ReplyDelete