Upcoming Events

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Growing Up with Independent Women!


Sitting in my bedroom I watched my 9 year old strut around in my 3 inches heels, the roadside scarf I bought in Goa around her neck, my shades on her head...admiring herself in the mirror. 

Brought a smile to my face. Reminded me of all those times I wore my mom's Sarees and acted like her. 

However, when I look back, wearing my mom's saree was in a way an expression of my desire to be like her. If I am even 1/4 a woman my mom is, I know I am good. 

I grew up observing my mom, my aunts, my mom's best friends... all women successful and independent in their own way. 

They are/were not women who burned bras. They were not woman who wore modern outfits. They were woman who stayed within the norms of a patriarchal society and still maintained their individuality. 

Without ever forcing their ideals and values on me, they still managed to influence me. They didn't have to go out partying or smoke a cigarette to teach me what forward looking  women are like. 

They in their own silent ways taught me what I needed to learn the most. That whatever may happen never lose your own true self. Never stop marching ahead deterred by the hurdles of life. 

Work around the hurdles. Know what you want from this life and go get it. While you do that, stay connected to your roots. Be compassionate. Laugh when you want. Cry when you feel low. Then wipe away those tears and keep walking. 

My grandmother taught me that age is just a number. My aunt taught me how to laugh in extreme pain. My mom... she still teaches me everyday how to stay sane in the face of adversity. 

Women in my life... taught me how I can be a mother, a wife, a daughter and still not lose touch with my inner desires. They taught me how to walk in their shoes and never trip. 

I love you all... I wish I can pass on the same vigor that you possess to my daughter. 

I wish I can teach her to be a better person than I have ever been and half of what you all have been. 

You all have been role models, but you never tried to influence my final assessment or judgment about how life is supposed to be.

10 comments:

  1. This is quite beautiful - a moving tribute to great women in your life. we can only hope that when our time has past we too have made such an impression on those who will come after us. You have a great writing voice. Visiting from UBC :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep writing more posts like this one and read them to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My belief is that modernisation and freedom has to come from your thoughts and not through your clothes.. Respect to your mom, aunts & grandma... my story is also the same :)

    First time here Bandita through the UBC.. and liked your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was very moving! We all need people that we can look up to & will have a positive influence on our lives. We also need to remember that others are looking up to us! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful! There is nothing quite like girl power, is there? Thank you for sharing such a personal and lovely tribute to the women in your life. It's an inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I particularly liked the work around the hurdles and keep walking bit.It is a great mantra for life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your flow is superb in this one.

    ReplyDelete