Upcoming Events

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Retail Therapy


"We've become a nation measuring out our lives in shopping bags and nursing our psychic ills through retail therapy." -- Chicago Tribune of Christmas Eve 1986

Psychic ills or what, I don't know. But I sure know the rush I feel when I buy something new. Be it for myself or my family. Or for the house. 

Modern day woman is on perpetual PMS. The men drive us up the gum tree at times (most times). They are just not equipped to handle these mood swings. Its no fault of theirs. I like to call it the "Y-Factor". They are designed to provide solutions. Hence every time they hear..."I am feeling low..." their first response is always... "Hmmm...have you figured out why? And how do you want to address the reason?"

So when they get the reply -- "I don't know why...I am just low." They just throw their hands up in the air and walk out. 

That's when the our girlfriends prescribe us retail therapy. 

I am amazed at how quickly my mood is uplifted when I shop. Be it a lip-scrub from Lush. Or a pair or trousers from AND. 

I get a high from grocery shopping as well. Don't smirk. I Know I am not alone. No I don't mean the run of the mill grocery that my mom buys from the neighborhood store. I mean elitist grocery from the gourmet stores like Nature's Basket etc. 

Hence I, today, I have shoes in my cupboard that I don't remember owning. I have clothes that still have their price tags on. I have two mascaras and a million kajals. Not to mention the drawer full of perfumes that are soon going to wear out their shelf life. 

But all said and done... When you are alone and feeling low... nothing better than retail therapy. All women I know will agree with me on this. 



1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more! After all, “When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping” ... :)

    ReplyDelete